Thursday, March 27, 2008

Rays win last game in Winter Haven

There is an Indians fan standing near the first base dugout holding a sign that reads, “Call security. I don’t want to leave.”

No one has called security yet.

Today’s game has been over for 20 minutes.

The Rays won 9-7 in 10 innings with Mike DiFelice doubling home Chris Richard for the go-ahead run and John Rodriguez singling home DiFelice with an insurance run.

As is the tradition here at Chain O’Lakes Park, senior citizens are allowed to walk the bases after the game. This being the last-ever game at this very cool ballpark, they let everyone walk the base – young and old.

People posed for pictures on the pitcher’s mound, in the dugouts and next the Indian logo behind home plate.

No one is making anyone leave, which is nice.

The Winter Haven police who work at this ballpark are allowing fans to soak up as much of the old stadium as they can before heading out the gates for good.

I hope it’s the same Friday when the Rays close Al Lang Field.

I know I’m not going to want to leave.

Heck, I think I might even cry.

No comments: